Churches in the Deanery
- Parish of SS. Maria and Leonardo - Artimino
- Parish of S. Maria Assunta - Bacchereto
- Parish of S. Francesco - Bonistallo
- Church of S. Michele Arcangelo - Comeana
- Parish of S. Lorenzo - Montalbiolo
- Parish of S. Maria del SS. Rosario - Poggio a Caiano
- Parish of S. Stefano - Poggio alla Malva
- Parish of S. Martino - S. Martino in Campo
- Church of S. Cristina - S. Cristina a Mezzana
- Church of S. Cristina - S. Cristina in Pilli
- Church of S. Pietro - Seano
- Church of S. Pietro - Verghereto
Vicar Don Antonio Giorgi
c/o parish of Santa Cristina in Pilli tel. Of vicar 055 8778051
Via della Chiesa – 59015 Carmignano (PO) tel 055 8718068
Hours: Sunday Mass at 11.50
The people of Artimino are identified by the bishop of Pistoia in the certificate of Otto III on February 25 998; the parish church dedicated to Santa Maria is included in the Pistoriensis judiciary. Near to the church there is a castle, in records since the 11th century, which was home to a rural municipality of the district of Pistoia two centuries later but in 1329 it was passed onto Florence, while the parish church remained the property of the bishop of Pistoia.
In the 13th century three authorities were in charge of the church: the monastery of S. Martino in Campo and the churches of Comeana and Brucianese, now Poggio alla Malva. The title of San Giovanni Battista was added to the original title of Santa Maria, as was the custom in baptismal churches. In the mid-16th century, the title of San Leonardo was also added and then the more complete one of plebe SS. Mariae et Leonardi.
At the end of the 17th century the parish church was still owned by the Frescobaldi family from Florence. The Romanesque church from the 12th century is still visible in its external lines; on the inside the nave is covered in 14th-century vaults, while the arches and the pillars have been modified with 18th-century decorations.
Vicar: Can. Don. Paolo Firindelli
Parochial Vicar : Emmanuel Fernando
Tel. 055-8717078 – Via di Santa Maria 4 – 59015 Bacchereto (PO)
Hours: Mass: non-Sunday at 17.00 ( legal hour at 18.00) Sunday at 11.15
The church of Bacchereto has been in the news since 1138 when the rights to the castle of the same name were given to the bishop of Pistoia: Ildibrandus de Bacareto appears as a witness in the documents. The bishop’s rights were later confirmed by the oath of loyalty of the men of the castle and other similar acts.
Towards the middle of the 13th century, the rural municipality of Bacchereto dependent on Pistoia, included beyond the main centre around the castle two other separate hamlets with the name of the church of San Iusti (in Montalbano) and of Fuxano. The church of Bacchereto, at this time, was still dependent on the parish of Seano; whilst from at least 1276 it was registered as a parish, with three of its own churches: Fusciano, Colle Ughi, S. Giusto.
The land of Bacchereto was passed onto Florence after the castrucciano period, in 1329, but always remained under the spiritual jurisdiction of the bishop of Pistoia. The parish was registered in the minutes of the pastoral visits starting on May 5 1376 with bishop Vivenzi. At the end of the 12th century the two ancient churches of Fusciano and of S. Giusto were reduced to oratories, while that of the Colle Ughi was passed onto Tizzana; the church of S. Giusto, again in 1737, was officiated and kept as a hermitage.
The current church was rebuilt between the 1600s and the 1700s (the side altar is dated 1768), with a partial recovery of the old building, of which very little remains. After the terrible fire of May 18 1885 the church was restored by the dean Luigi Drovandi. The bell tower was built out of an old tower of the castle.
Vicar: don Cristiano D’Angelo tel.: 055 877339
Via di Bonistallo 11 – 59016 Poggio a Caiano (PO)
Hours: Sunday Mass Poggetto at 8.00 Bonistallo at 9.30 and 11.00
August Mass Poggetto at 8.00 Bonistallo at 11.00
In the first half of the 13th century the S. Marie de Bonostallo chapel had given its name to a district of the rural municipality of Carmignano. At the end of the same century the church was registered among those in the parish of Carmignano. In the first half of the 15th century the S. Marie de Buono Stallo was owned by Sinibaldo di Doffo de ‘Lazzari, who left it to his heirs. At the end of the seventeenth century the ownership was transferred to the Workers of S. Iacopo.
The parish was abolished in 1903 when it was replaced with Poggio a Caiano, but in 1922 a new parish under the name of S. Francesco d’Assisi was established, following Corinna Landini’s donation of the buildings of the old parish to the bishop. The medieval church, renovated in the 17th century, was unfortunately unusable as it was divided into homes after the abolishment in 1902.
The nearby 18th-century building of the Compagnia delle SS. Stigmate was used as the site of the new parish. A similar proposal for the relocation of the parish church of the Compagnia had been suggested over a century earlier by bishop Ricci. The land of the restored parish of Bonistallo has been separated from Poggio a Caiano.
Vicar: Don Antonio Sernesi
Via Dante Alighieri 58 – 59015 Comeana (PO)
Hours: Saturday Mass Chiesino Le Farnete at 16.00
Sundays at 7.30; 10,30; 16,30 (Summer 17.00)
There is mention of a place for the plebs of Artimino in the 11th century but the church of S. Michele de Comeano is registered much later as a dependent of the Parish of Artimino. In the list of pastoral visits the S. Michaelis de Comeano is registered from that of Donato de’ Medici (1447).
Variations of the toponym (Comeana) are found in the 16th century. In the 17th century the church was owned by the Florentine Mazinghi family. The building was rebuilt in the 19th century and consecrated by bishop Bindi in 1871.
Vicar: don Luciano Tempestini
Via di Montalbiolo 51 – 59015 Carmignano (PO) – tel 055 8711351 or 055 8712046
Hours: Saturday Masses at 16.30 from 1/06 to 30/9 and at 18.00 in August
In March 1111 the people of Monte Ribioro donated a large plot of land to bishop Ildibrando of Pistoia, where a church was built. There is no document to say to which saint the church is dedicated; but in the first half of the 18th century there is documentation of the Sancti Rolencii chapel, which had given its name to a district of the rural municipality of Carmignano
In the lists of tithes the ecclesia S. Laurentii of Monte Robiolo is registered. In the registers of pastoral visits it is listed from the 15th century. One century later the toponym had already been changed to its current name: “Monte Arbiolo”. The small Romanesque church had been maintained in its exterior lines while on the inside it had changed during the 17th and 18th centuries.
Vicar: don Fiorenzo Battistini
Piazza Santo Rosario, 13 59016 Poggio a Caiano (PO)
Hours: Early Holy Mass Saturday at 17.30 (ora legale 18.00) Sunday and public holidays at 7.30 – 10.00 – 11.15 July and August 7.30 – 9.30 – 11.15
At the end of the 17th century there was an oratory dedicated to Saints Cosmo and Damiano in Poggio a Caiano found in the Medici villa and dependent on the priory of S. Maria in Bonistallo. In the second half of the 19th century the Bonistallo parishioners asked for the parish church to be moved to Poggio a Caiano where the majority of the population lived. This move happened after a favourable resolution of the Municipality of Carmignano on July 12 1877, it was approved by bishop Sozzifanti with a decree on July 28 1877. The new church, whose first stone was blessed by bishop Mazzanti on October 28 1889 (there is a commemorative plaque on the wall on the left of the presbytery), was consecrated on September 27 1903 by the cardinal of S. Lorenzo in Panisperna, Giulio Boschi.
On this date the decree to move the parish church was finally executed. In 1910 the bishop Sarti declared the church subject to ordinary proceedingly, removing it from its dependence on the parish of Carmignano. With the last decree of bishop Vettori on January 17 1920 the church was promoted to the rank of rectory. In 1922 a part of the land was taken away to be assigned to the reconstituted parish of Bonistallo.
Vicar: don Giovanni Scremin
Via Santo Stefano 1 – 59013 Poggio alla Malva (PO) tel. 055 8718019
Hours: Holy Mass early Holidays on Saturday at 16.30 (legal hour at 17.00) Sundays and public holidays at 10.00
The ecclesia S. Stephani di Bruscianese, dependent on the parish of Artimino, was documented in the list of tithes between the 18th and 19th centuries. It is listed under the same name in the pastoral visits between the 14th and 15th centuries but the century after, the name champed: ecclesia S. Stephani delle Busche and also ecclesia S. Stephani de Brucianesi, also known as de Collerotto.
From 1741, since abandoning the old church which was next to the Arno and subject to floods, the parish was moved to an existing oratory in Poggio alla Malva, the land next to it was given for the construction of the vicar’s house.
Vicar: don Cristiano D’Angelo c/o parrocchia di Bonistallo
Via San Martino 1 – 59015 Carmignano (PO)
Hours: There are no Sunday or holiday Holy mass celebrations
In 1057 bishop Martino established the S. Martini monastery at the Casa Nova site, which joined the church of S. Mercuriale in Pistoia. The monastery in Casanova is mentioned on July 9 1148 when the abate Guido acquired goods from Camaione sull’Arno, but in 1166, the same Guido is called abbot S. Martini.
Around 1179 the ecclesia S. Martini de Campo was pinpointed at the southern border of the Pistoia district. In the 13th century the area around the abbey established a district of the municipality of Carmignano, with five “flames”, but the monastery, due to religious jurisdiction, was included in the plebate of Artimino. The monks were entrusted with looking after the souls. The monastery is mentioned in the pastoral visits starting with that of bishop Franchi (1383).
Given the visit of 1535 it is clear that the monastery did not belong to the Valdambroasian Order, as presumed by some. The property was handed to the Frescobaldi family from Florence after the monastery was abolished who kept it until the end of the 17th century, maintaining its parish functions with a secular priest.
The Romanesque church was changed many times in the Middle Ages and restored in 1951, keeping most of its original qualities.
Vicar: don Furno Checchi
Via Vergheretana 65 – 59015 Carmignano (PO) tel 055 8712003
Hours: Sunday Mass and Holidays at 10.00
There is documentation of the church of S. Cristina in Mezzana at the end of the 13th century, documented as part of the parish of Carmignano.
In first half of the 15th century the church belonged to Sinibaldo di Doffo de’ Lazzari who left it to his heirs. In 1575 it was joined to the church of Bonistallo. At the end of the 17th century it was registered under the double title of S. Cristina and S. Stefano, under the ownership of the Workers of S. Iacopo. There is now no trace of the name of S. Stefano.
The current church is a result of transformation works carried out between the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1943 the presbytery area was expanded with a new apses. The baptismal font was granted by bishop Niccolai during the pastoral visit of May 18 1852.
Viar: don Antonio Giorgi
Via di Santa Cristina 27 – 59016 Poggio a Caiano (PO ) tel. 055 8778051
Hours: Sunday Mass and holidays at 7.30 and 10.30
The S. Cristine ecclesia in Pinle is documented at the start of the 11th century. After a series of patronage and parish changes during the 12th century, by the first half of the 13th century the church was part of the parish of Carmignano.
The church is present in the lists of pastoral visits starting with that of bishop Franchi (1383). In the 17th century the church belonged to four local families. Between the 17th and 18th centuries the church was renovated and change into how it looks now.
Vicar don Ernesto Moro
Piazza San Pietro 5 – 59015 Seano (PO) – telefono 055 8706249
Hours: Holy mass early holidays on saturday at 17.00 (legal hour at 17.30) Sundays and holidays at 7.30 – 10.30 – 17.00 (legal hour at 17.30)
The early medieval parish was already registered in Otto III’s diploma of February 25 998. Around 1179 the parish of Seano was located at the south-east border of the Pistoia district.
At the end of the 13th century the church is registered as a canonical S. Petri de Seiano, part of the parish of Carmignano. In 1447 Sinibaldo di Doffo de ‘Lazzari gave up ownership of the church to the Pistoia monastery of Monteoliveto. Later, under the bishop Pandolfini (1474-1518) the church and all its assets was annexed to the monastery.
At the end of the seventeenth century the church is registered as “united to the Olivetan monastery”. When the monastery was abolished in 1782 the Church of Seano was given back its autonomy. The medieval church underwent various changes in the following centuries; the façade, partly preserved, is the result of a restoration work with numerous additions.
Via Vergheretana 5 -59015 Carmignano (PO)
Hours: There is no celebration of Sunday or holiday Mass
A small town called Vergareta is documented in the 17th century but the ecclesia S. Petri in Vergareta, absent in the 17th-century documents, is written about in the 14th century. In the following century it changed to its current name, Verghereto.
The church was rebuilt in the 17th century, partly using the old building although very little remained.