St. Francis himself is considered the founder of the church of Santi Michele e Francesco, a structure dating to 1211. Facts turned to legend as his ties to the area have led to the belief of a spiritual connection between the famed saint and Pontormo’s Visitation.
St. Francis’s sermons in this area convinced one of his followers, Bernardo di Quintavalle, to build a convent and an oratory where you’ll find today’s church, which was added in the first half of the fourteenth century. The church, dedicated to St. Francis, underwent various interventions in the eighteenth century, especially in the cloister, on the façade and with the addition of the loggias and the restoration of the interior in Baroque style.
The name of San Michele was added to the church of San Francesco in 1782 when it became the seat of the parish dedicated to San Michele Arcangelo. The church is still the main site of the parish of Carmignano (raised to propositura in 1937), which was initially located near the castle. In 1927, in the presence of Prince Umberto, the votive chapel dedicated to remembering fallen Carmignano soldiers in the war was inaugurated, a simple and evocative work created by the people of Carmignano.